Tuesday 11 March 2014

Poem

The Marathon

In February I saw a letter about a Marathon run
I thought: “That will challenging and fun”
The 42k race was only 4 weeks ahead
“That’s impossible to achieve” some people said

I started training with much effort and passion
My beard grew and I looked really out of fashion
It was four weeks with lots of running and hard work
Running with my beard and headband I must have looked like a dork

I got a lot of advice from my brother
My family had faith in me, even my mother
The time flew, and soon I was on my way
I travelled with plane so I would be ready for the big day

In Moshi, Tanzania, it was humid and hot
A German said: “Run in 3h30m you will not!”
Even though the run was extremely long
I wanted to prove him wrong

I got up 3 hours before the start
And I think that was pretty smart
I was rested and eager to do well
The start was fast I have to tell

Half way through the race I felt fine
But then, it felt like I stepped on a landmine
The hills approached fast
I was suddenly afraid to finish last

But I told myself I could do it
I had trained for this so I knew I was fit
The last 10k was downhill
The crowd made it a thrill

Into the stadium I finished strong
I did proved the German wrong
I was so out of breath
That I was close to my death

Got a medal and a bottle of water
Thank you I said to the pretty daughter
I am still tired after digging so deep
Don’t even dare to wake me up, I’m deep asleep


No comments:

Post a Comment